Dr. M. Belal Hossain
Lab Head and Senior Ecologist
Qualifications: BSc in Marine Science (CU), MSc ( Hull, UK), PhD ( UBD, Brunei).
Expertise: Aquatic ecology, Biodiversity conservation, Coastal fisheries management, Contamination and risk assessment of metals and micro plastics, Environmental Impact Assesemnt.
Research interest: Aquatic diversity and Coastal Aquaculture, pollution, Climate Change.
- Hossain, M. B., Yu, J., Nur, A. A. U., Banik, P., Jolly, Y. N., Al-Mamun, M., & Albeshr, M. F. (2023). Microplastics in surface water from a mighty subtropical estuary: First observations on occurrence, characterization, and contamination assessment. Environmental Research, 226, 115594.
- Ahmed, A. S., Billah, M. M., Ali, M. M., Bhuiyan, M. K. A., Guo, L., Mohinuzzaman, Hossain, M.B & Cai, W. (2023). Microplastics in aquatic environments: A comprehensive review of toxicity, removal, and remediation strategies. Science of the Total Environment, 876, 162414.
- Khatun, B., Jewel, M. A. S., Haque, M. A., Akter, S., Hossain, M. B., Albeshr, M. F., & Arai, T. (2023). Seasonal pattern of taxonomic diversity and functional groups of macro-benthos from a sub-tropical mangrove estuary. Journal of Marine Science and Engineering, 11(7), 1453.
- Rahman, M. K., Hossain, M. B., Majumdar, P. R., Mustafa, M. G., Noman, M. A., Albeshr, M. F., & Arai, T. (2022). Macrobenthic Assemblages, Distribution and Functional Guilds from a Freshwater-Dominated Tropical Estuary. Diversity, 14(6), 473.
- Hossain, M. B., Rahman, M. A., Hossain, M. K., Nur, A. A. U., Sultana, S., Semme, S., .& Yu, J. (2022). Contamination status and associated ecological risk assessment of heavy metals in different wetland sediments from an urbanized estuarine ecosystem. Marine Pollution Bulletin, 185, 114246.
- Hossain, I., & Hossain, M. B. (2021). Community structure of macrobenthos in homestead ponds of Noakhali coast, Bangladesh. Acta Ecologica Sinica, 41(6), 611-619.
- Nur, A. A. U., Hossain, M. B., Banik, P., Choudhury, T. R., Liba, S. I., Umamaheswari, S., .& Yu, J. (2022). Microplastic contamination in processed and unprocessed sea salts from a developing country and potential risk assessment. Chemosphere, 308, 136395.
- Shamsuddin, M., Hossain, M. B., Rahman, M., Kawla, M., Shufol, M., Alam, B., & Jahan, R. (2022). Application of Biofloc Technology for the culture of Heteropneustes fossilis (Bloch) in Bangladesh: stocking density, floc volume, growth performance, and profitability. Aquaculture International, 30(2), 1047-1070.
- Noman, M. A., Feng, W., Zhu, G., Hossain, M. B., Chen, Y., Zhang, H., & Sun, J. (2022). Bioaccumulation and potential human health risks of metals in commercially important fishes and shellfishes from Hangzhou Bay, China. Scientific reports, 12(1), 1-15.
- Minar, M. H., Hossain, M. B., & Shamsuddin, M. D. (2013). Climate change and coastal zone of Bangladesh: vulnerability, resilience and adaptability. Middle-East Journal of Scientific Research, 13(1), 114-120.
- Islam, M. S., Hossain, M. B., Matin, A., & Sarker, M. S. I. (2018). Assessment of heavy metal pollution, distribution and source apportionment in the sediment from Feni River estuary, Bangladesh. Chemosphere, 202, 25-32.⸎
- Ahmed, A. S., Sultana, S., Habib, A., Ullah, H., Musa, N., Hossain, M. B., … & Sarker, M. S. I. (2019). Bioaccumulation of heavy metals in some commercially important fishes from a tropical river estuary suggests higher potential health risk in children than adults. Plos one, 14(10), e0219336.
- Sultana, S., Hossain, M. B., Choudhury, T. R., Yu, J., Rana, M. S., Noman, M. A., & Arai, T. (2022). Ecological and Human Health Risk Assessment of Heavy Metals in Cultured Shrimp and Aquaculture Sludge. Toxics, 10(4), 175.
- Noman, M. A., Sun, J., & Hossain, M. B. (2021). COVID-19 Generated Personal Protective Equipment: Sources of Microplastics and Pathogen Vectors in Marine Environments?. Frontiers in Marine Science.